The purpose of this training course is to prepare appointed persons with the knowledge and understanding to act a leader within an emergency offshore.
The individual should recognise, however, that this is only part of a broader training programme, alongside company and installation-specific emergency response training, most of which will be conducted offshore on a regular basis as drills and exercises.
NOTE – This is the initial ENTRY LEVEL course for the Offshore Emergency Response Team Leader. For those requiring the refresher or revalidation course, please visit our course page below:
Further Offshore Emergency Response Team Leader (FOERTL)
By the end of the course, delegates should be able to:
- Understand the role and explain the key responsibilities of the Emergency Response Team Leader
- Know the purpose of typical response arrangements and procedures
- Carryout emergency response planning effectively, including requirements for PPE, setting priorities and objectives to the response teams
- Monitor human and environmental factors during an emergency
- Carryout dynamic risk assessments
- Delegate tasks to the Offshore Emergency Response Team (OERT) effectively
- Communicate effectively with relevant emergency response personnel
- Lead the OERT in a clear and confident manner
- Look for and respond accordingly to signs of stress in individual ERT members during the emergency
- Effectively monitor breathing apparatus (BA) control
- Lead the OERT during fire and non-fire incidents effectively
- Conduct missing persons and casualty management effectively during the emergency
A valid Initial Offshore Emergency Response Team Member Training (OERTM) certificate OR A valid Further Offshore Emergency Response Team Member Training (FOERTM) certificate.
Delegates are issued with an OPITO Offshore Emergency Response Team Leader Certificate upon completion.