STCW Updated Proficiency in Personal Survival Techniques Course Overview
The Personal Survival Techniques Refresher Training aims to provide delegates with the essential training in order to maintain proficiency as required in the STCW 2010 Manila Amendments. This STCW refresher course runs for half a day and involves time in the classroom and pool facility. It’s supervised by fully qualified instructors making it suitable for non-swimmers.
We also provide the initial/basic STCW Personal Survival Techniques course for those who don’t already hold an existing certificate.
- Main types of maritime emergencies
- Types of life-saving appliances
- Survival craft
- Equipment in survival craft
- Location of personal life-saving appliances
- Principles of survival during a maritime emergency
Here’s what the practical session covers:
- How to don a lifejacket
- How to safely jump from a height into water
- How to right an inverted raft whilst wearing a lifejacket
- How to swim whilst wearing a lifejacket
- How to board a survival craft from the water whilst wearing a lifejacket
- What initial actions you need to take when boarding survival craft
- How to operate survival craft equipment
NOTE – This PST training course is supervised by fully qualified instructors and is suitable for non-swimmers.
Proof of completing the Personal Survival Techniques training or equivalent is required.
STCW refresher training should be undertaken in line with the following regulations:
– Seafarers who have 6 months or more sea service prior to 1 August 1998 and were exempt from basic safety courses
– Seafarers who have a certificate of Proficiency in Personal Survival Techniques and have maintained the required standard of competence through onboard training and experience for all competencies listed in the self-declaration form.
Delegates are requested to provide a signed self-declaration form as pre-requisite to attending the reduced hours entry route of the PST refresher course. This will be provided as part of your joining instructions.
Upon successful completion of the course, all candidates are issued with an updated STCW certificate