STCW Elementary First Aid (EFA) Course Overview
STCW Elementary First Aid (EFA) is designed to form part of the minimum basic safety training for seafarers.
The aim of this EFA course is to give all persons intending to go to sea a basic knowledge of the immediate action to be taken upon encountering an accident or other medical emergencies at sea.
- Applying immediate first aid in the event of an accident/injury on board ship
- Actions on discovering a casualty
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation
- Recovery position
- Spinal injuries
- Examination of a casualty
- Medical conditions including heart attack, choking & asthma
- Treatment of bleeding, burns & shock
- Transporting a casualty on board ship
Candidates must be fit and able to complete all aspects of training.
Upon successful completion of the course, candidates are awarded an MCA approved STCW Elementary First Aid (EFA) certificate.