Shipboard Safety Officer
STCW 2010 Approved Maritime Training
This course is intended for seafarers who are about to serve, or are already serving as either safety representatives or safety officers. Its aims are to ensure that the student is trained within the current legislative framework. This course meets the requirements set out in the merchant shipping and fishing vessels (Health & Safety at Work) Regulations 1997 (SI 1997 No. 2962) (the Regulations) and the code of Safe Working Practice for Merchant Seafarers (CoSWP).
- Understand the duties of the Shipboard Safety Officer.
- Current marine safety legislation.
- The role of safety committees.
- Understand safety management systems and relationship with the ISM code.
- Investigation of accidents.
- Understand the process and limitations of risk assessment.
- Interviewing technique and collating of evidence.
- Raising onboard safety awareness.
Candidates must be at least 18 years of age, have proof of 12 months sea time and knowledge of ship operations.