OPITO Helideck Operations Initial Training (HOIT)
OPITO Offshore Training
The aim and objectives of the Helideck Operations Initial Training (HOIT) Programme is to equip the delegate with the initial knowledge, understanding and skills required to perform the roles of Offshore Helicopter Landing Officer (HLO) and Offshore Helideck Assistant (HDA) safely and effectively.
Note: Additional training, as determined by the Duty Holder, in offshore site-specific elements is required before appointment to the HLO and/or HDA role.
Duty Holders will need to check the statutory, regulatory and company-specific HLO and HDA training requirement for the particular region of operations, so that the HLO and/or HDA candidate receives all of the required training for the HLO and/or HDA role.
By the end of the course delegates should be able to:
- Understand key parts of relevant helideck operations regulations and guidelines.
- Understand helideck physical characteristics, equipment, systems, specific hazards and meteorological requirements.
- Explain the role and responsibilities of the offshore HDA and HLO.
- Understand how to prepare a helideck for helicopter movement.
- Correctly use handheld radios using standard protocols, including hand signals if communications are ineffective.
- Perform within a team helideck exercises which includes the following:
- Wearing of appropriate PPE.
- Team briefs prior to helicopter arrival, including helideck preparation.
- Communications check.
- Conduct and respond to required helideck protocols during helicopter operations, to include; safe-to-approach, helicopter anti-collision lights switched off and ‘thumbs-up’ from pilot (as agreed by operating company).
- Passenger, freight and baggage management. Includes identifying dangerous goods.
- Act as both the HLO and HDA during all practical exercises.
As a minimum, delegates must have completed Dangerous Goods by Air training course in accordance with Part 1, Chapter 1.4 of the ICAO Technical Instructions and sub section 1.5 of the IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations, Category 7, 8 or 9 or state aviation approved dangerous goods awareness training Course.
All delegates receive an OPITO Helideck Operations Initial Training certificate.
If you are a corporate customer and would like to open an account with us, please call us on 0141 427 9411 or email
Clyde Training Solutions are also happy to assist with accommodation bookings at local partner hotels.