Offshore Helideck Package (Combined HOIT, HERTM & DGA)
Recent changes in the Helideck Training Framework mean that delegates who wish to gain their OPITO Helideck Emergency Response Team Member (HERTM) for the first time, or who have let their HERTM or OPITO Further Helideck Emergency Response Team Member (FHERTM) certificate lapse, now have to gain their OPITO Helideck Operations Initial Training (HOIT) and Dangerous Goods by Air Awareness (DGA) certificates beforehand.
HOIT training replaces the previous Helideck Assistant (HDA) and Helideck Landing Officer (HLO) training which personnel used to undertake. As per the HDA/HLO training the HOIT certificate has no expiry date. As advised by OPITO, existing HDA training certificates are no longer valid for HERTM unless issued within 2 years of starting HERTM training.
The cost of purchasing training for all three certificates listed in this package is typically over £2,650 exc. VAT, but Clyde Training Solutions have created our Offshore Helideck Package, which combines HOIT, HERTM and DGA certificates, for only £2,300 exc. VAT
Upon successful completion of the DGA certificate which is completed online, delegates will undertake their HOIT training on Wed-Fri of the chosen start week, and upon successful completion would proceed to undertake the HERTM training on Mon-Thurs of the following week.
NOTE - Delegates can choose to defer their HERTM training until a later date, but to choose this option, bookings must be made by calling our customer services team on 0141 427 9411.
DGA E-LEARNING ELEMENT
The HCA (Helideck Certification Agency) accredited, Dangerous Goods by Air Awareness (DGA) e-learning course, is an accepted pre-requisite for the OPITO Offshore HOIT programme for personnel who are to be appointed to the role of an Offshore Helicopter Landing Officer (HLO) and/or Offshore Helideck Assistant (HDA).
The IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations is based on the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) Technical Instructions (TI's) for the Safe Transport of Dangerous Goods by Air.
This animated and online awareness training program has been developed in accordance with Table 1.4 of the ICAO TI's, the following requirements apply to offshore based personnel involved in helicopter operations:
- Helicopter Landing Officer: Key 7 and 8
- Helicopter Deck Assistant: Key 7 and 8
- Helicopter Admin Staff: Key 7, 8 and 9
The aim of the animated and online program is to provide all offshore personnel involved with helicopter operations with the required knowledge to understand the correct procedures and safe handling of Dangerous Goods.
OPITO HOIT ELEMENT
The aim and objectives of HOIT is to equip the delegate with the initial knowledge, understanding and skills required to perform the roles of Offshore Helicopter Landing Officer (HLO) and Offshore Helideck Assistant (HDA) safely and effectively.
Note: Additional training, as determined by the Duty Holder, in offshore site-specific elements is required before appointment to the HLO and/or HDA role.
Duty Holders will need to check the statutory, regulatory and company-specific HLO and HDA training requirement for the particular region of operations, so that the HLO and/or HDA candidate receives all of the required training for the HLO and/or HDA role.
By the end of the initial HOIT course delegates should be able to:
- Understand key parts of relevant helideck operations regulations and guidelines.
- Understand helideck physical characteristics, equipment, systems, specific hazards and meteorological requirements.
- Explain the role and responsibilities of the offshore HDA and HLO.
- Understand how to prepare a helideck for helicopter movement.
- Correctly use handheld radios using standard protocols, including hand signals if communications are ineffective.
- Perform within a team helideck exercises which includes the following:
- Wearing of appropriate PPE.
- Team briefs prior to helicopter arrival, including helideck preparation.
- Communications check.
- Conduct and respond to required helideck protocols during helicopter operations, to include; safe-to-approach, helicopter anti-collision lights switched off and ‘thumbs-up’ from pilot (as agreed by operating company).
- Passenger, freight and baggage management. Includes identifying dangerous goods.
- Act as both the HLO and HDA during all practical exercises.
OPITO HERTM ELEMENT
The aim of HERTM training is to equip offshore personnel with the knowledge, understanding and skills required to perform an Emergency Response Team Member role in offshore helideck and helicopter emergencies.
The main objectives are for delegates to understand the role and responsibilities of a Helideck Emergency Response Team Member and practice responding to a variety of helideck firefighting and non-firefighting emergency scenarios in a training environment.
By the end of the course delegates should be able to:
- Understand the key roles and responsibilities of the HERTM.
- Understand helideck ERP’s and potential helideck emergencies.
- Understand helideck emergency systems and controls.
- Understand the main differences between helideck emergency response on a main fixed or floating installation and a normally unattended installation (NUI).
- Perform exercises in response to helideck emergencies, which includes the following
- Communications as a team and to the team leader
- Responding to the directions of the team leader
- Assessing the situation and adapting to any change in circumstance
- Operate specialised firefighting equipment.
- Correct use of SCBA in a multitude of different emergency based helideck scenarios.
- Perform effective Search and Rescue (SAR) principles and techniques.
- Demonstrate correct technique for handling casualties.
A valid, current offshore medical certificate OR an operator approved medical certificate.
All successful delegates will receive Dangerous Goods by Air Awareness, OPITO Helideck Operations Initial Training and OPITO Helideck Emergency Response Team Member Certificates.
If you are a corporate customer and would like to open an account with us, please call us on 0141 427 9411 or email
Clyde Training Solutions are also happy to assist with accommodation bookings at local partner hotels.