If you work in the maritime industry or you’re looking into a career on the high seas you’ve probably come across the terms STCW 95 and STCW 2010. The STCW (Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers) is an international convention that established basic safety training and is a legal requirement for anyone who works on merchant vessels but what's the difference between the two?
What’s the difference between STCW 95 and STCW 2010?
Well, simply put STCW 2010 is the updated version of STCW 95. STCW was first adopted in 1978 and came into force back in 1984. It set the qualification standards for masters, officers and watch personnel only and it wasn’t until the STCW 95 Amendments came into play in 2002 that all seafarers had to complete basic safety training before going on board a merchant vessel.
Since then further amendments have been made to the code which is known as the 2010 Manila Amendments and Clyde Training Solutions offer a full suite of STCW 2010 courses. So, keep ahead of the game and book your course with us today.
As part of the 2010 Manila Amendments you must hold documentary evidence to prove that you have completed the mandatory basic training (STCW 95/STCW 2010) within the last five years. If training has taken place more than five years ago, you will be asked to complete a self-declaration form which indicates if STCW revalidation training has been undertaken or not.
Another significant change to the amendments is the introduction of two additional security courses although these are optional.
Here’s a breakdown of the full suite of basic safety courses and refreshers that we offer:
STCW 2010 Basic Safety Training
- STCW Fire Fighting and Fire Prevention
- STCW Personal Survival Techniques
- STCW Elementary First Aid
- STCW Personal Safety & Social Responsibilities
- STCW Proficiency for Seafarers with Designated Security Duties
- STCW Proficiency in Maritime Security Awareness
STCW 2010 Refresher Training
- Updated Proficiency in Fire Fighting and Fire Prevention
- Updated Proficiency in Advanced Fire Fighting
- Updated Proficiency in Personal Survival Techniques
- Updated Certificate of Proficiency in Survival Crafts & Rescue Boats
If you’re interested in completing the STCW 2010 Basic Safety Training or you would like to update your STCW 95 Basic Safety Training, make sure you check our course calendar for the next available date.