STCW Personal Survival Techniques (PST)
STCW 2010 Approved Maritime Training
Personal Survival Techniques is designed to form part of the mandatory basic safety training for seafarers in accordance with section A-VI/1 of the STCW code. The aim of the course is to provide seafarers with the basic essential knowledge, understanding and proficiency to protect and maintain their own and others safety at sea in accordance with international regulations.
The course provides both a practical and theoretical mixture of training with a short exam at the end.
The course content includes:
- Main types of maritime emergencies
- Types of life-saving appliances
- Survival craft
- Equipment in survival craft
- Location of personal life-saving appliances
- Principles of survival during a maritime emergency
Here's what the practical session covers:
- How to don a lifejacket
- How to safely jump from a height into water
- How to right an inverted raft whilst wearing a lifejacket
- How to swim whilst wearing a lifejacket
- How to board a survival craft from the water whilst wearing a lifejacket
- What initial actions you need to take when boarding survival craft
- How to operate survival craft equipment
This course is supervised by fully qualified instructors and is suitable for non-swimmers. Upon successful completion of the course, candidates are issued with an MCA approved STCW Personal Survival Techniques certificate.
The learner must be at least 16 years of age to complete the STCW Personal Survival Techniques course. In exceptional circumstances where a learner is physically able and fit they may be able to complete the training course prior to their 16th birthday. In this case, candidates should hold a valid UK ENG1 medical certificate or equivalent as an indicator of fitness. Parts of the course are of a physical nature so you must complete a Medical Self Declaration Form prior to the start of training.
Clyde Training Solutions is also happy to assist with accommodation bookings at local partner hotels. Please call us to find out more details about them.